Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Part of the Flavia de Luce series, this is a story of a young girl, who lives in an old house, with an unusual family, and likes to solve mysteries. Set in the 1950’s, it’s fun and witty, with enough details included to make it a really great mystery.

In this book, she discovers a stranger, dead in their garden, which leads her on a quest to discover his identity, while bringing her closer to her family.

The house where they live, has been in their family for generations, and a great uncle had been an amateur chemist, and had built an amazing chemistry lab in the house. Since no one else is interested in the lab, it’s been gifted to Flavia, and she spends her free time experimenting and brewing new potions. I love the description of her chemistry lab, full of beakers and potions. Would look great in a movie, hu?

While I enjoyed it, I wasn’t sucked into the story like I was in a similar book, The Mysterious Benedict Society (which I highly, highly, recommend), so we will see if I read any others. And why are the international cover versions so great!?

Review: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment