Friday, September 6, 2013

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Book Review

BookEnder's Game
AuthorOrson Scott Card
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi 
Publisher/Publish DateTor Science Fiction / 1985
Source: Public Library
Pages: 324
Rating: 3.5/5
GoodReads  •  Amazon

I have been hearing so much about this book lately, probably since there is a movie of it coming out this year, I decided I better see what all the fuss about.

If you have been living in the woods like me, here is the premise of the story: Ender is the third child in a world that usually only allows two per family. After surviving two wars with "bugs," the world's focus is on creating an army that can defeat them for good, allowing humans to live in peace. All kids are monitored from birth to see if they have what it takes to go to battle school, and Ender is special and is chosen to go. 

Most of the book focuses on the tests and knowledge he learns at school. Orson Scott Card created a word that is twisted and focused on violence, and describes technology that isn't too far off than some of what we have today.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but I really enjoyed this, and maybe in this century some of what he writes doesn't seem so out of this world. This is a young adult book, and the characters are really young, but I think the topics are great for discussion and consideration for all ages.

2 comments:

  1. I book that I read before Christie?? Inconceivable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little late to the game, and I'm sure there are plenty more books that I need to catch up on.

      Did you like it?

      Delete