Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling - Book Review


Book: The Casual Vacancy
AuthorJ.K. Rowling
Genre: Fiction 
Publisher/Publish Date: Little, Brown and Company / September, 2012
Source: Personal copy
Pages: 512
Rating: 3/5
GoodReads  •  Amazon

There are a lot of mixed reviews about this book, so I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading. This is first adult novel by J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books. It was quite the detour from those books, so I think lots of the readers when into it assuming it might have a hint of HP in there, and I think the Amazon reviews show this (around 800 for each of the stars). I've read a lot of witty, British novels, and compared to those this was a pretty good book.

Based in a quiet, pretty, little English town, a member of the parish council suddenly dies, and the town is left to battle out who will take his spot. This novel is heavy with characters, and thought I often got confused as to who was who, Rowling writes incredibly strong personalities, creating a very believable dramatic plot line.

It's a big book, and I struggled through some of it, but over all enjoyed it. I think this shows the breadth of styles in which Rowling can write, so it will be interesting to see if she writes another book in this genre, or something else entirely.

I would suggest this for fans of Sophie Kinsella novels, Gone Girl, and Bridget Jone's Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment