Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling - Book Review

BookThe Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1)
Author Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling
Genre: Mystery
Publisher/Publish DateMulholland Books / April 30, 2013
Source: Local Library
Pages: 455
Rating: 4.5/5
GoodReads  •  Amazon

I requested this book from the library as soon as it was revealed that J.K. Rowling was the offer. It was a good thing I was so fast, a week later there were 600+ holds on the book.

While I don't read too many crime novels, I do enjoy crime shows, and found this book hard to put down. Rowling did a great job of creating a complex mystery and I didn't even have a clue who was guilty until it was revealed.

The main character, Detective Cormoran Strike, hires a temp assistant, Robin, who I am assuming will be a character throughout the series (more books are planned). But I felt she lacked any development, there were just hints at her life outside the office, so I am looking forward to her being a large part of the story in subsequent novels.

Overall the novel is fairly light though touches on deeper issues, and I'm really looking forward to reading more about Strikes detective agency and seeing what other mysteries he solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment