Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

[Book #1 I have read for the 2013 YA Contemporary Challenge]

Since I read so many young adult, dystopian series, I sometimes get confused and mix up the plot lines. While I know I like the book, I could not tell you the main character's names and the title of the previous book. Honestly, I wish there was a good way to keep track of these sorts of things, and get alerted to when the next book comes out (if someone knows of something like this, let me know).

Onto the book review.... [**spoiler alert**]
Prodigy is the second book in the Legend Series, was published in January and written by Marie Lu. There is actually a 0.5 book in the series, Life Before Legend, a short eBook, that takes place before Legend, that I have yet to read.

Prodigy begins where the last book leaves off, with Day and June arriving in Vegas to try and work with the Patriots. A little back story. Years before, Antartica began to melt, and much of the eastern coast and some of the western coast of the United States is now underwater. The story takes place in a United States that is now separated into the Colonies (east), which is fighting a war with the Republic (west) run by the Elector (sort of dictator-ish). June grew up in a well-to-do Republic family, and trusted the Republic until she discovers they killed her brother, and she partners with Day, a well known rebel.

The Patriots are a group of people trying to destroy the Republic, and bring back unity to the States. Whatever means necessary. June and Day need their support to try and find his brother, but as June goes on a mission to set up the new Elector for assassination, they begin to doubt the goals of the Patriots, not knowing who to trust.

This book has all the aspects that I enjoy in a good YA novel, strong, multi-layered characters and a complex history to their current world that makes sense and holds together. Some scenes seem straight out of an action movie, in a good way, and make for an heart-stopping ending. It is a little predictable though, I could see the multiple love triangles coming for miles (or is it a love square?). Though that didn't make me enjoy it any less.

And now I have to go sit and wait for the next book in the series to come out.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment