Wednesday, April 10, 2013

best books for a rainy day

I grew up in Oregon, and one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day was to curl up on the couch with a good book. A book that I could get lost in and would take me away from the crummy weather outside. It's been pretty crummy here the last couple weeks, and if it's crummy where you are, here are some books to check out.

The Mitford Years Series, by Jan Karon
This series of nine books follows the  day to day life of a small town rector. Father Tim lives in Mitford; a charming village with lots of fresh air and green hills and full of interesting characters. These books take you back to a time that was simple and you knew all your neighbors by name. I might not be the normal demographic for these books but I enjoy them.





Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, by Judi Barrett
This children's book has some of my favorite illustrations. What's not to love about the idea of meatballs falling from the sky, pancakes so large they cover houses, and no need to go grocery shopping. Like Mitford, this book is also set in a small town.





The Chronicles of Narnia Series, by C.S. Lewis
I have a vivid memory of watching the PBS version of this book as a kid, while it was snowing out doors. Since then I have read the whole series, and love this fantastical story of a magical wardrobe and the Great Lion Aslan. Over the years there have been an assortment of beautiful covers for this book, my favorite being and illustration of "a faun carrying parcels and an umbrella in a snowy wood," which was Lewis' initial idea behind the book, which came to him at age 16 (according to Amazon.com).



About a Boy, by Nick Hornby
Though more people may be familiar with the movie, I read and fell in love with the book first. Will, a 36 year old confirmed bachelor, befriends a young boy when we tries to con a women into dating in. The awkward friendship leads life changing events that improves the lives of the man, boy and those around them. I think this story can teach all of us some valuable lessons and how to be a better friend.





What's your favorite book to read on a rainy day?

No comments:

Post a Comment